Monday, February 24, 2014

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That!

     So...Nene and Marlo are going at it on Twitter?!  After their confrontation last night on Real Housewives of Atlanta, the former friends continue to take verbal potshots at one another.  Are you serious?!  But wait, aren't they buddies, ride or die, BFFs?

    Yes, I admit it.  I've been a viewer of the Real Housewives Reality Series from the very beginning starting with the Real Housewives of Orange County.  Some years ago I was excited to learn there would be a series which featured successful black women.  However, in the past couple years or so, my thoughts and views have changed.  There was a time when I would faithfully watch every episode. About a year ago I started using my DVR.  I  found myself fast forwarding through each episode. A lot of times, I just forgo it altogether.

     It seems as though every reality series featuring black women or women of color casts women who are geared up and ready to fight.  I am fed up to the tenth power with seeing women cursing each other out, jumping over tables, tossing beverages, throwing wine glasses and bottles at one another.

     I'm sure I don't have to explain myself any further to the thousands, if not millions of women who feel the same way; especially with the increasing number of physical altercations of late. This he said, she said, they said, we said mentality is not only played, it's high school.  Seeing black women proudly exhibit combative behavior for all the world to see is stereotypical, embarrassing and out of control.

     Although I don't wear a t-shirt, I believe myself to be a successful, intelligent and cultured black woman with friends possessing the same traits. Nevertheless, I rack my brain trying to recall a time when my friends, my circle, my girls,...my road dawgs have had a verbal or physical confrontation.

     Excuse me if I spend too much time in recall, but it's impossible to remember something that hasn't occurred.  I don't see Angie, Nicole, Anitra, Joni, or Dorothy dropping B bombs and F bombs at one another in an attempt to rouse the other into a fight. Simply put, it's not necessary nor is it acceptable behavior for grown women.  That's not how we get down. And I don't know many who do.

     I choose to recall the success, achievements and accomplishments made by women of color.  I recall women like Harriet Tubman, First Lady Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Maya Angelou, Aretha Franklin, Marva Collins, Cicely Tyson, Dorothy Dandridge, Rita Moreno, Angela Bassett, Holly Robinson-Peete, Julie Dash, Kasi Lemmons, Iyanla Vanzant, Star Jones, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Debbie Allen, Phylicia Rashad, Alfre Woodard, Viola Davis, Octavia Spenser, Nia Long, Sanaa Lathan, Aunjanue Ellis, Taraji P. Henson, La La Vasquez Anthony, Tyra Banks, and Venus and Serena Williams.  SHALL I GO ON?  Believe me I could, but I would be here all night and this blog would be too long.

    Whether it makes a difference or not, I will no longer be tuning into reality television unless it's something positive, uplifting, educational and inspiring.  I cannot continue to support a series or franchise that makes millions of dollars while portraying us as a bunch of pretentious, loud and wild women with little to no self control or respect.  Ain't nobody got time for that!!!!

      Excuse me while I tune in to Mom's Got Game featuring Pamela McGee, Hall of Famer, Olympic Champion, Former WNBA Player/Assistant Coach, and manager of her son, NBA player JaVale McGee. I like this show because it reflects our reality featuring women striving to live life to the fullest. Not to mention the irreplaceable Jay who provides balance and humor all at the same time.  This group of friends are enthusiastic, driven, and focused.  While they are honest and straight forward with one another, it is easy to see they are genuinely eager, excited and cheering for each other's happiness and success.

    Wait a minute...that sounds like me and my girls!  Talk about reality. ;-)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment